Friday, January 22, 2010

Life Savings

Sometime back when I was 5 or 6, my Grandma and Grandpa L gave me a Bank, shaped like a giraffe, and named "Richey". Like most kids I recall playing in the yard with the box a ton, but this doesnt mean I didnt enjoy the gift. Richey stands about waist high and has for many years held change.
Every year for Christmas I would receive enough pennies to feed him one penny a day for the whole year, I know that doesnt sound like a lot, but you have to feed your pets you know.
I was also very good at finding money on the ground, its a good pastime, One time I even found a 20 dollar bill on the floor! :) that was a good day.
anyway... I digress,
Eventually I was no longer given pennies to feed Richey as I had my own income which until recently I spent only cash, and would not spend my change. Richey did in fact become rich with Change, aside from the few raids that took place in Middle School, his treasure stayed intact.
and I always dreamed I would spend the money I had spent most of my life saving on something wonderful, like a vacation or something, I honestly had no plans for it, and thought it might just sit inside that cute little giraffe until retirement.
Alas, come Sunday I realized my dreams of that change collection lasting until retirement came crashing down to reality.With the money poured out onto the table, I was going to spend my savings on a Fridge.
Thats right, a not so exciting Fridge.
The fridge that came with the house died saturday night just as company was arriving. So Sunday morning we fired up a mini fridge to get us by until we could afford a new fridge.
To help us on our way, we rolled over $300 worth of change mostly from Richey.
Now the saving starts again for another rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment