Monday, February 22, 2016

Day 375

Today we have been invited to a traditional Scotish dinner of Haggis.
At an event called "Burns Night"

Now the first thing to know is what is Haggis.


So after reading that you should all know things included in the meal are not things I will eat.
Thankfully the lady hosting the dinner is a vegitarian, so in addition to regular Haggis there was vegitarian Haggis.

Also it is tradition to drink Wisky and read the poet Burns' poem "Ode to a Haggis" before you eat it, and apparently when the Haggis is brought into the room it should be proceeded by Bag pipes. 

When Josh and I showed up at the event we were the only ones who didn't have a fun accent. There were people from Germany, Scotland, Britian and one couple from Mexico. Maybe to them we have an accent? 

One of the Scotsmen even wore a kilt. He was the one that read the Poem, it was hard at first to catch on to what he was saying, but his accent was fun, and apparently in old times Scotland had its own language or dialect... So some of the poem I didn't get at all.

Then we ate by candle light
Sorry for the blurry picture
But I tried some of the real haggis, and to be honest it wasn't as terrible as I imagined it would be. In fact it was kind of good,  knowing what's in it makes me not want to eat it.

I tried some whisky that they had too, wow! That was rough! I'll stick with my Jack Daniels :)

We had a great night though! And I was glad to be invited to learn more about this Scottish tradition that I would have known nothing about if I hadn't come to Mexico! Lol



No comments:

Post a Comment