Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Golden Gate

We got up early and headed out, we rode the cable car! it was a lot of fun, kind of a like a roller coaster! But People were actually hopping on and off at stops on their way to work, it was neat!

We had decided to rent bikes and ride them through the golden gate national parks and over the golden gate bridge.
As you may or may not know, I do not ride a bike well...So I was a little concerned.
We started the chilly day out with a ride down the bike path past a couple of forts.

This is Fort Point which they actually redesigned The Golden Gate bridge to save! and Another fact I found very interesting is that this fort was active in the civil war, WWI and WWII
A beautiful view from our bike ride
After our tour of the fort we had a snack, where this little fellow was seriously lunging at me to get my lunch right out of my hand!!! After I successfully kept my lunch to myself we headed up the hill to traverse the bridge. I was scared, most bridges are 
A. High
and 
B. Usually have grates or large holes on the edge
This one thankfully was paved! and had only some holes, the bike lane was also between the walking lane and the cars, so that made me feel more comfortable, I tried to mainly look straight ahead!

Half way across

After we crossed the bridge we rode down a very big hill to the cute little town of Sausalito, where we grabbed some lunch and walked around before heading back on the ferry. Out on the ferry we had some great views of Alcatraz, but we were not able to visit because the tickets were booked out until the middle of July! we will have to make a trip back!


We rode around near Fisherman's wharf some when we got back and then decided to call it a day and return our bikes.

When we were on our ride back, there was a man that got on the electric trolly with huge open scabs that he was scratching and they were bleeding everywhere, it was scary! We did learn that San Francisco has the largest homeless population per capita in the country. Which was sad to see.

Since it was our last day in the city and I needed new hiking boots since my toes were just starting to recover we headed to the REI in town and picked up a pair! I can not wait to try them out!



No comments:

Post a Comment